How It Works
A full-time, K-12 tuition-free, personalized education program in Idaho
Tech Trep Academy partners with Oneida School District to create Idaho Home Learning Academy, a full-time, K-12 tuition-free Idaho education program focused on providing parents the resources needed to create a personalized home-based education plan tailored to the unique needs of each child
- Parents choose curriculum and learning resources that work best for their child.
- A tuition-free program providing access to quality curriculum that maps to Idaho state standards.
- A supplemental learning fund for customized learning resources – $1700/yr for all students.
- Unlimited access to experienced mentors and certified teachers is offered.
- Find an extensive variety of elective class offerings to meet every child’s strengths and interests and custom-built options for additional flexibility.
- There are optional virtual teacher-led classes.
- In virtual clubs, students socialize while pursuing hobbies of interest.
- Enjoy optional organized community field trips – zoos, museums, skiing, science shows, swimming, pumpkin patches, trampoline parks, and more!
- There are also optional virtual field trips. Past events include viewing exotic reptiles, tea parties, book clubs, observe the atmosphere, meet the author, virtual tours of a TV station and Jamestown and more!
- Participate in optional showcase activities – talent shows, science and history fairs, and entrepreneurial opportunities.
- Families are invited to participate in over 100 optional activities/year.
- Student must be a resident of the participating state between the ages 5-18 (as of Sept 1).
- Following a standard public school schedule (Aug-May), all students and parents must demonstrate active participation by submitting Learning plans and bi-weekly Learning Assessments for review by a certified teacher.
- Students are required to participate in all state tests to continue participating in the program.
- Students are required to have high-speed internet and a tablet or computer with webcam to fulfill testing requirements. These items can be purchased using the student’s supplemental learning fund.
Program Benefits for Students in Grades K‑12
Students in Grades K‑8
- Access to industry-leading, age-appropriate curriculum for Reading / Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies
- Dedicated support from certified teachers
- Wide range of choices for fun, hands-on electives – Optional tech electives, virtual teacher-led classes, or families can also create their own custom elective classes catering to student interests and strengths
- Virtual Clubs – allow students to build friendships and enjoy social interaction while engaging in hobbies they enjoy such as crochet, yoga, 3D art, robotics, music, foreign language & ASL
- Optional Junior High for grades 6-8, encourages independent learning and prepares students for high school
- Eligible for the full school-approved supplemental learning fund – $1700
Students in Grades 9‑12
- Personalized mastery-based education based on each student’s individual knowledge base, interests, and learning styles – learn more here
- Dedicated support from certified teachers, advisors, and counselors
- Wide range of elective choices and student-designed class option
- CTE pathways – Career & Technical Education allowing students to earn certificates in 9 different areas including culinary arts, education, graphic design, information systems, business marketing, and more
- Access to fast forward funding/dual credit opportunities, college credits
- Virtual Clubs – allow students to build friendships and enjoy social interaction while engaging in hobbies they enjoy
- Eligible for the full school-approved supplemental learning fund – $1700
Ways to access supplemental learning resources:
Field Trips & Community Events
Activities and Events
Tech Trep provides many FREE learning and entertainment opportunities for students.
Optional in-person and virtual field trips are organized each month all over Idaho and families are invited to participate in any they choose. A few of the fun activities families have enjoyed include indoor rock climbing, museums, zoos, online tea parties and book clubs, exotic reptile show, trampoline parks, fantastic science shows, skiing, and meeting authors.
Students have the opportunity to participate in optional talent shows, spelling bees, science and history fairs, entrepeneurial opportunities, job fairs, and MORE! Families are invited to participate in over 100 activities/year.
Parent Support Groups
Nationally, Tech Trep Academy has thousands of like-minded parents, students, teachers, administrators, and staff. The number of parents choosing a home-based, distance education program for their child continues to grow and the Tech Trep Academy community loves helping others embarking on this journey.
Families are provided with homeroom teachers who assist families with meeting program requirements and offer optional support according to the family’s desires. These teachers are just a phone call or email away. High school students also have a homeroom advisor to assist in planning and answering questions.
Through social media and in-person gatherings, parents can connect easily with others and find local groups and activities to join.
We are here to support in any way we can as you provide a personalized exceptional education for your child at home.
We love to celebrate great student work. Students have optional opportunities to share what they have learned in the program.
Talents are shared as students learn new skills. Entrepreneurial booths and the Tech Trep Academy Marketplace on Facebook provide students the chance to share their businesses and sell products.
- Parents submit an application for each child in the Tech Trep Academy InfoCenter.
- Once accepted, parents submit a complete enrollment packet to Idaho Home Learning Academy (IHLA) which includes proof of residence, birth certificate, and immunization information.
- After completing the IHLA enrollment packet, return to InfoCenter to confirm that you have completed the enrollment and that we can share information with IHLA.
- Both student and parent need an active email account (see video for help with younger children).
- After the IHLA packet is approved, you will receive a confirmation email letting you know your student is fully registered.
- Once registration is complete, there is nothing else to do until summer when the student schedule can be created and learning resources are ordered.
- You will be able to access Parent Link and Announcements in InfoCenter for additional information.
- If you have questions about the process, please reach out to [email protected] for help and support in enrollment.
Personalized Educational Programs Work!
Parents Know Best
We invite parents to research curriculum and learning resources to determine what’s best for each child, based on their unique needs and interests, and then submit a proposed year-long personalized education plan for review and approval.
Parents can also choose to meet with curriculum specialists to receive help in selecting the learning resources that will work best for their child.
Once students experience a truly personalized learning environment, they never want to go back to a one-size-fits-all approach.
We hear amazing stories from parents whose children have continued their success as adults.
From earning college scholarships to starting businesses to pursing a passion-centered career, we are proud of the students who participate in our program.
Parents and students love the personalized flexible education Tech Trep Academy has to offer. Read what they have to say here.